By Philip Sheldrake
A short heritage of Spirituality tells the tale of Christian spirituality from its origins within the New testomony to the current day.
- Charts the most figures, rules, photos and old sessions, exhibiting how and why spirituality has replaced and constructed over the centuries
- Draws out the precise issues of Christian spirituality, exploring the old and cultural occasions and stories that modified people’s attitudes and practices
- Coverage extends correct as much as the trendy day, exploring the massive alterations in spirituality in recent times and how it truly is these days frequently contrasted with ‘religion’
- Written through a number one commentator on spirituality, and released within the renowned Brief Histories of Religion series
Read Online or Download A Brief History of Spirituality PDF
Best religion & spirituality books
This booklet is predicated totally on the resource fabric to be had within the Pali Canon, studied traditionally and philosophically within the gentle of the modern, past and later literary proof relating to the topic. The antiquity and authenticity of the cloth is vouchsafed by means of the literary, linguistic, ideological, sociological, and ancient proof present into Pali Canon itself.
Leopold is extremely joyful to post this vintage publication as a part of our wide vintage Library assortment. a number of the books in our assortment were out of print for many years, and consequently haven't been obtainable to most of the people. the purpose of our publishing application is to facilitate fast entry to this monstrous reservoir of literature, and our view is this is an important literary paintings, which merits to be introduced again into print after many a long time.
For the fast time period that it lasted, The Welsh Revival was once, in lots of methods, the best that the church has ever witnessed. by no means has a sector been so speedy or appreciably remodeled for righteousness, or the area so impacted. the hearth of this revival used to be so extreme that once letters or newspaper tales approximately it have been learn in different components of the realm, revival could get away there too.
- Godly Rule: Politics and Religion, 1603–60
- Cthulhu Cult
- The Teacup & the Skullcup:Chogyam Trungpa on Zen and Tantra
- The Atheist Camel Rants Again!: More Arguments and Observations from the Atheist Front
- The Religious Attitudes of the Indo-Europeans
- Buddhist Studies in honour of Walpola Rahula
Extra info for A Brief History of Spirituality
Together with his sermons, the emphasis of Basil’s writings is a practical-ethical (ascetical) theology of the highest quality. Gregory Nazianzen was also concerned with monastic asceticism (with less emphasis on leaving the city for the ‘‘desert’’ or on the hermit life), but is better known as one of the greatest theologians of the early Church. For Gregory, strongly influenced by Origen’s thought, the spiritual life was a journey away from materiality towards a kind of spiritual luminosity or refinement.
18 Foundations: Scriptures and Early Church In the Luke–Acts tradition, the important themes are God’s faithfulness and the all-embracing or inclusive nature of those who are heirs of God’s promises. With the coming of the Messiah, universal salvation is possible in an age now filled with God’s Spirit. The response is gratitude and joy. This is Jesus’ own attitude. ‘‘Jesus rejoiced in the Holy Spirit and said, ‘I thank you Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and intelligent and revealed them to infants’ ’’ (Lk 10, 21).
The same dual call to 14 Foundations: Scriptures and Early Church repentance and discipleship is present at the beginning of Jesus’ ministry in the Gospel of Matthew (Mt 4, 17, and 19) and, although expressed differently, is implicit also in the Gospels of Luke and John. In New Testament terms, to become a disciple is not the same as the modern quest, initiated by seekers, for a wise and reliable spiritual teacher who is then selected by the seeker. Nor is it a matter of choosing to sit at the feet of such a teacher until we have gained enough autonomous wisdom of our own to move on.